Fostering a sustainable construction sector: the NSW Government Action Plan
The NSW Government Construction Leadership Group (CLG), a forum of leaders from all the key NSW Government agencies engaged in the delivery of the large, long term pipeline of infrastructure investment in NSW, has been established to drive reform across government in the development, procurement and delivery of infrastructure and building projects. In June 2018, the CLG published the NSW Government Action Plan which recognises that the NSW Government can only achieve its infrastructure objectives in partnership with the private sector and is designed to:
- encourage an increase in the “supply side” capacity of the sector to meet future demand
- reduce industry’s costs and “down-time” by making Government procurement processes more efficient
- develop the skills, capability and capacity of the construction industry’s workforce
- encourage culture change and greater diversity in the construction sector and its suppliers
- foster partnership and collaboration between the public and private sectors to drive innovation in the NSW construction sector.
Sonya will discuss the work being done by the CLG to turn the 10 commitments in the Action Plan into a program of specific measures to be rolled out progressively by the CLG, including development of the NSW Infrastructure Pipeline and Portal, Procurement Method Guidelines, Guidance on Security for Construction Projects and Interactive Tendering Process Guidelines.
Sonya will also discuss her involvement through the CLG and the Construction Industry Leadership Forum (CILF) in:
- developing a series of practice notes intended to optimise risk allocation between government and industry and to identify innovative procurement models and forms of contracting to achieve best value for government projects; and
- work being done on contract standardisation in NSW and contract harmonisation with the Victorian government.
About Sonya Campbell
Sonya is a Director in the Infrastructure and Structured Finance Unit at NSW Treasury. Sonya joined Treasury in September 2018 following an 18 year career in the private sector specialising in project procurement. Sonya began her career as a construction lawyer at Mallesons, before moving to an in-house legal role with Abigroup, where she worked on projects across multiple sectors, jurisdictions and contract models (including roads, rail, tunnels, hospitals, schools, telco and energy projects).
After 10 years of legal practice, Sonya moved into a Commercial and Risk Manager role with Lendlease, followed by 2 years as a Director in PwC’s Infrastructure and Urban Renewal group, advising government and the private sector on commercial structuring and risk management on complex infrastructure projects.
Sonya joined Government with a passion for improving the efficiency of infrastructure procurement and delivery and brings a wealth of industry experience to the table in developing Government infrastructure policy reforms.
More information is available on this flyer.